Infested rodent leaves Dublin Mam ‘at a loss’
A Dublin woman has revealed she no longer cooks and hasn’t had her granddaughter in her home for over eight months due to a rodent infestation.
Maria from Ballymun, north Dublin, said she was ‘lost’ as she revealed her flat, on the first floor of a building run by the county council, was badly infested with mice and rats.
The distressed mother revealed she believes the infestation first started with mice but has also spread to rats, with rodents having the same trail for over a year now. They are located near his kitchen cabinets.
“We constantly catch them under the dashboard… Over the weekend there were 2 more mice caught”
Maria contacted @joeliveline because his house is infested with rodents #liveline pic.twitter.com/5fZvIGp5XK
— Liveline (@rteliveline) August 16, 2022
Speaking to Joe Duffy on Liveline, Maria called the infestation “horrible”. She revealed that the rodents were “constantly” caught under the kitchen boards.
HSE Pest Control called Maria’s flat and poisoned the problem areas, but Maria revealed the case had since been closed, with Pest Control ‘insisting’ on the mouse infestation only.
Maria told Joe that although the HSE insists it’s mice only, she has plenty of evidence to show that there are mice in her apartment too.
Although it is rare for mice and rats to inhabit the same place, Maria confirms that she recently caught rats and mice. Maria noted that they are also within her walls and admitted that she could hear them.
Maria shared that about three weeks ago a rodent was discovered “literally disintegrated” having not been found for a few days. In the days that followed, pest control called in to eradicate the poison. The following week, they came back and told Maria that “everything was fine”, as the poison seemed to remain intact.
Maria added: “That night there was literally – and I am factual about this – there were three and a half dead rights.
“That night when I got home there were maggots and stuff there – I have video footage of all that stuff.”
Maria said she didn’t understand why there was such a lack of communication between the agencies. She notes that when you work, and if you’re wrong, you correct yourself.
She said: “I don’t know the problem with the communication… Why all the photos I sent are not linked from one person to another person to another person.”
Maria revealed that her asthmatic granddaughter had not stayed with her for eight months, despite previously staying at her home quite regularly. She also revealed that she no longer cooks and hasn’t done so “for a long time”, usually opting for take-out or restaurant meals. Maria said, “All I use is paper plates, that sort of thing.”
Liveline listener Declan revealed that as a child his family had ferrets. He added that he remembered neighbors often calling to borrow the ferrets to get rid of their own mice, and recommended Maria give it a try, as the smell of the ferrets would scare the rodents away.
Unfortunately, as there has been poison in the apartment, Maria revealed that she would be cautious about bringing another animal to deal with the infestation, lest it poison itself.
There is a good way to stop rats and mice – find the access point to your property and fix it. Otherwise you are for nothing #liveline
—Jim Smith (@Mozzer2015) August 16, 2022
— Michelle Geoghegan (@MGeogo) August 16, 2022
“Horrendous”, having mice/rats in the house?
—Tim Nelligan (@tnteacherTim) August 16, 2022