Kahului’s Pizza in Paradise restaurant has been closed by the Hawaii Department of Health
The Kahului restaurant, known as Pizza in Paradise, was closed by the State Department of Health because it was considered “an imminent health hazard.”
The outlet at 60 Wakea Ave., Suite 101, was slapped with a red sign on Thursday and is to remain closed until all violations are resolved and it passes a follow-up inspection by the Branch. Food Safety Department in Maui.
The food outlet is operated by Pacific Restaurant Management, LLC.
According to the inspection report, the restaurant has a long history of disorder and other violations. During the last inspection, several risk factors for foodborne illness were observed, including:
>> A large pot of old food on the kitchen floor contained live and moving maggots.
>> Signs of a healthy breeding roach population in the kitchen.
>> Flies covering the plates left in the old dining room.
>> Sinks, counters and food prep areas that looked like they hadn’t been cleaned in a long time.
>> Open canned and bottled products on counters with mold growth.
The owner, the ministry said, must hire a professional pest control supplier to control the bugs and clean up the clutter in the restaurant, among other things.